The Intestinal System
Directions: Select the best answer for each of the following questions and then click on the submit button.
- By the time the food reaches the colon, it is in a semi-fluid state and is referred to as
- This material passes from the small intestine to the colon via the
none of the above
- A circular muscle constricting an orifice is called a
none of the above
- The colon is also known as the large intestine because
it is longer than the small intestine.
its diameter is three times larger than that of the small intestine's.
it was named after the man who discovered it, Dr. Edmond Large.
- What is the function of the colon?
To absorb any remaining water and electrolytes from the chyme.
To move waste material out of the body.
To store waste material until it is time for it to be evacuated.
All of the above.
- The colon moves material through by involuntary wavelike contractions, made possible by smooth muscles within the colon wall, a process which is referred to as
- The undigestible parts of the plants that we eat is known as
- The beneficial bacteria that are found in the body and that are essential to good health are known as
- Which of the following is not a key to colon health?
- ____________ , also known as Piles, are dilated veins in the anus and rectum caused primarily by insufficient dietary fiber and straining.
- True or False: Most of the problems that can occur with the colon are at least in part due to insufficient dietary fiber.
- True or False: The three most common causes of death in the United States are heart disease, cancer, and adult-onset diabetes (in that order). Medical research has confirmed that insufficient dietary fiber is a major cause of all three diseases!